Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The "other"

When people describe the Middle East to me three things are always mentioned: camels, sand dunes, and Bedouins. Its not surprising since most people from Pennsylvania rarely make it to the Middle East, let alone another country. Additionally, I don't necessarily blame them for their image of the Middle East when my generation grew up with Disney's Aladdin, Kingdom of Heaven, and the news broadcasts of the 1991 and 2003 invasions of Iraq. America's perspective of the Middle East generally is not good because of orientalist views that originated in the 19th century and were further supported in our media till present day. My experiences in the Middle East allowed me to discover the real Middle East without those stereotypes we see in the United States. My experience abroad also allowed me to see my own culture, that of central Pennsylvania, in a different light.

We I tell people where I am from the Amish are always brought up. Since the creation of Pennsylvania by William Penn the state has been a safe haven for all religions. Mennonites, Quakers, Amish, and other Protestant groups live in Pennsylvania. However recently there are Maronite Christians, Egyptian Copts, and a variety of Muslims from Turks to Pakistanis that make up my county. These "others" are hard to spot because they try their hardest to assimilate. When talking to a Palestinian man at our local market he tells me that the traditions of the different groups of people fade away once they move here. The Muslims involved at the local Islamic center don't interact with the community but they let go of their religious identity and try to blend in with regular Pennsylvanians. This doesn't make sense when I think about one of the core reasons why this state was created in the first place.

Although these "Others" make up a small minority in my county there exists a larger minority that have become the "Others". The Hispanic community in the nearest city has created an enclave that would make most people feel like they left the country and arrived in Puerto Rico. Spanish is more useful in the city than English in some circumstances. Although Puerto Ricans are US citizens from the start they are separated from the rest of the county. There exists a definite prejudice and downright racism towards the Hispanic community. I have heard people speak about the stereotypes these groups have and how English should be the official language of the US just so people wouldn't have to learn Spanish or gain any kind of understanding of the Hispanic "Others" among us.

Traveling abroad made me realize how people in Pennsylvania act to diversity. Studying in Oman, a country where speaking English, Hindi, Arabic, Urdu, or Swahili is totally acceptable, showed me true tolerance. In fact the local dialect of Arabic incorporates all the languages I mentioned. What brings people together in the region has traditionally been trade and skilled labor. The expatriate communities in the Persian Gulf region do form the "Other" group but the countries are so interdependent on people from a variety of different cultures that culture blends together, giving a uniqueness to the region.

One last thing I came to realize is that those who have a historical presence in the Gulf are no longer the "Others". The Baluch are a perfect example. These people from Southern Pakistan traditionally served as soldiers and workers in the Gulf for centuries but have been intermingled so much that they no longer stand out as "Others". I see the same thing in my county in central Pennsylvania with the Amish. Although their appearance and culture are so different from mine, people don't treat them like the recent immigrants or Hispanic community. The Amish community is known for its active participation in local towns and for skilled labor. It amazes me that when it comes to trade most cultural barriers can be broken down and some kind of understanding and tolerance be established.


2 comments:

  1. Do you think that the people in your town will be able to overcome their differences with the Hispanic community to create an acceptance rather than an 'Us' versus 'Them' mentality in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so! I believe this will happen as the Hispanics in the city expand and move into the predominantly white neighborhoods in my county. However for the time being there is still a large enclave that is culturally different and separate from the rest of the county. My good childhood friend and neighbor is Hispanic and his family moved out of the city because they wanted to expand their business in the city to the rest of the county.

    Business interaction might be an answer to the incorporation of Hispanics into my county. The business my Dad works for is very active in the city and does a lot of work with the Hispanic community there. It has led to the hiring of Hispanics from that community and their integration in the county wide scene, not just the enclave.

    ReplyDelete